Content creation definition
Content creation is the process of bringing about topic ideas that appeal to your target audience, assembling content around those ideas (either written or visual content), and then producing and releasing the content to be accessible to your audience.
Content can be created in different forms e.g. infographics, blog posts, advertisements, e-books, videos, tweets, etc. Content creation is an important marketing practice. It involves rendering useful, engaging and quality information to your audience, thereby attracting new customers to your website or social media page and retaining the already existing ones.
Goals of content creation
- Build brand awareness: Putting out consistent content that is well inclined with your brand and is of value to your audience will increase your brand visibility.
- Increased Engagement: Most consumers engage with brands before eventually having a reason to patronize them. Putting out engaging content that captures the attention of your audience is important.
- Help search engine optimization (SEO): SEO helps your brand become more visible to the public. Therefore, maintaining quality and engaging contents will help the consumer make a positive purchase decision.
- Establish brand authority: Consistent and effective content help establish a reputation for your brand and its field.
- Generate leads: Good content helps generate leads and attract potential consumers
- Increasing traffic on your website
Various types of content creation ideas
Blog posts are written content intended to entertain, educate or inspire your audience. This website, Thewebgate, is an example of a blog that creates written content for the education of the readers.
Some content creation ideas for blog posts
- Teach topics in your niche that people are talking about or would want to know about
- Answering questions: Creating content that answers questions people ask on Google or questions you might have had when you were a beginner.
- Comparing and contrasting products, services, problems, etc.
- Writing daily, weekly or monthly series on a topic
- Quiz and surveys
This is one of the most popular types of content creation. The videos can be in long-form or short-form depending on your content creation strategy and goal.
Some video content creation ideas
- Animation videos explaining complex or new information
- HOW-TOs and tutorials
- Repurpose your blog posts and turn them into videos using keypoint from the blog as clips in the video
- Product demos: explaining how to use your product or services and introducing new features
- Behind the scenes
Graphics can be used in your blog posts or social media posts. This type of content creation can require a graphics designer or graphics designing tools you can use to make the designs. Different graphics content can include infographics, memes, GIFs, screenshots, illustrations, photos, etc.
Podcasts are audio formats which you can use to reach your audiences or give your brand a personal touch. This type of content creation is like a radio station and you need your audience to like the host and expect to learn something new in order for them to listen.
Content ideas for podcasts
- Professional experience in different industry sectors
- Interviewing influencers who can offer value to your audience.
- Discussing trends related to your niche.
- Organizing contests and giveaways fitting your unique audience.
5. EBooks and whitepaper
This can be used as a lead magnet. Like offering your audience materials of value that can solve their problems in exchange for their email addresses, phone numbers or subscription to your email newsletter.
Attributes that ensure a good content
- Consistency: It is important to maintain a frequency that works to enhance trust and credibility with your audience when putting out your content.
- Relevancy: This is the most important element of your content creation because your content must be relevant and useful to your target audience and must align with your content creation goals.
- Engaging: Your content should be able to stand out and hold your consumer’s attention. Ensure the content is original and interactive with a catchy headline.
- Informative: The content should be able to cater for the needs of your consumers and solve their problems
- Action-driven: The desired end action of the content should be clear and must align with the business goals. Call to action (CTAs) should also be included to help consumers with decisions.