Every business owner’s dream is to win over their target audience, make them patronize their business, and retain them. Over the years, email marketing has proven to be one of the effective ways of winning them over.
What is Email marketing?
Email marketing is a way for businesses or brands to send promotional messages or pass information to a group of people using email.
What are the types of emails used in email marketing?
Abandoned Cart Emails: These emails are sent in form of reminders to customers who have added items to their online shopping cart but have not completed the purchase.
Drip Emails: This type of email involves a series of automated emails that are sent out over some time, usually to grow leads or provide a guide to subscribers through a sales funnel.
Newsletter: These are the most common type of email. They are sent to a list of subscribers to notify or inform them about a company’s products, services, or industry news.
Promotional Emails: These emails are used to promote a product or service and often inform subscribers about special offers or discounts.
Re-engagement Emails: These emails are sent to inactive subscribers to try to re-engage them and encourage them to continue receiving emails from a brand.
Survey Email: These emails are sent to gather feedback and opinions from subscribers about the brand’s products or services.
Transactional Emails: These emails are triggered by a specific action taken by a customer, which may include making a purchase or signing up for a service. Order confirmations, account updates, and shipping notifications are examples of transactional emails.
Trigger-based Emails: These are personalized emails that are sent based on subscriber behavior. Examples of this type of email include browsing history, purchase history, etc.
Why is email marketing needed for brands/ businesses?
For building brand awareness: By sending regular newsletters or promotional emails, brand owners can keep their audience informed about their products or services and increase brand recognition.
For driving website traffic: Email campaigns can include links to the brand’s website, which can drive more traffic to the site and potentially increase sales.
To generate leads: By offering valuable content or discounts in exchange for an email address, brand owners can generate leads and grow their email list.
For boosting sales: Email campaigns can be used to promote special offers or discounts, which can increase sales and revenue.
What are the advantages of email marketing?
- It is cost-effective. Compared to other forms of marketing, email marketing is not expensive.
- The emails can be narrowed down to only be sent to the target audience.
- Email marketing allows for the personalization of messages, making them more relevant to the recipient.
- The effectiveness of email marketing can be easily measured using metrics such as open and click-through rates.
- Email marketing campaigns can be automated, saving time and resources.
What are the disadvantages of email marketing?
- There is a risk of recipients marking emails as spam when you consistently send them emails. This action by the recipients can lead to email providers blocking your email or marking them as spam. When your email is marked as spam, it goes to the spam box of the recipient.
- If the recipient receives too many emails, their inbox becomes cluttered and it becomes difficult for your email to stand out.
- Email addresses can be changed or become inactive over time, so your message may not reach the intended recipient.
What are the precautions to take before starting?
- Let your email list be permission-based.
- Familiarize yourself with laws and regulations guiding email marketing.
- Ask potential subscribers to confirm their email address and subscription before they are added to the email list.
- Segment your email list. This could be in terms of demographics, behavior, or other criteria that allow you to send more targeted and relevant messages. This also aids engagement.
- It is essential to test your emails before sending them to your target audience. That way, you can see the errors in them before sending them out.
- Use an email marketing service. This can help you manage your email list, automate your email campaigns, and track key metrics like open and click-through rates.
- Be consistent. Regularly email your subscribers, but don’t overdo it. Consistency is key to building trust and a strong relationship with your audience.