What is Digital Marketing
Digital Marketing Concepts
Digital Marketing is the way a product is being advertised digitally or with the aid of electronic devices. Digital marketing is an online way of promoting brands, businesses and getting in touch with prospective customers or clients.
Types of Digital Marketing
1. SEO – Search Engine Optimization
2. SMM – Social Media Marketing
3. SEM – Search Engine Marketing
4. Email Marketing
5. Content Marketing
6. Affiliate Marketing
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
This is the process by which we improve a website through the search engine.
Forms of SEO
1. On-Page SEO
2. Off-Page SEO
On-Page SEO: This involves improving the effectiveness of a website on website. It might involve improving or optimizing your website’s content code and HTML source code. Some optimized – able contents are;
a. Website’s Header Tag
b. Meta description
c. Title Tag
d. Page’s speed
e. The internal speed of the website
g. The Featured snippet
h. Header Tag
i. Images and so on.
Off-Page SEO: This involves improving your website’s ranking or organic traffic using promotion methods like backlinks. Unlike On-Page SEO this action is not performed on the site but on the site.
Types of Link Building
1. Do – follow
2. No – follow or Don’t follow
Some SEO tools are:
a. Google keyword planner
e. Pingdom (Free trial for 14 days)
This involves replicating a brand’s product by sharing or creating materials online.
iv. Case Studies
Popular tools used for content Marketing
Examples of Content Management system;
Search Engine Marketing
It is an advertising model that can be used to direct traffic towards your website, by paying a fee each time someone clicks on your advertisement.
These advertisements include text ads, image ads, video ads, etc.
Some of the channels that can be used for SEM are:
1. Google Ads
2. Bing ads
How SEM campaigns work:
1. Determine the goals you want to achieve with your campaign.
2. Choose a relevant list of keywords best suited for your brand
3. Finalize your keywords and bid on relevant keywords.
4. Set up an attractive headline for your ad campaigns.
5. Monitor how well your campaigns are doing and measure your results.
6. Optimize your campaign and re-target potential customers.
It’s a form of digital marketing that involves paying commissions to a website or other entities for advertising the merchant’s product using referrals.
Affiliates are incentivized based on :
2. Email – sign ups
Steps to Affiliate marketing;
1. Use a tool/platform to find affiliates to advertise your product.
2. Set up rules, guidelines, image subscription, commission, costs, etc.
3. Affiliates apply to advertise on your behalf
4. Select an affiliate that’s best suited for your brand.
5. Customers click on ads or link, which sends the user to the merchant’s website
6. Once a customer makes a purchase, the affiliate network makes a record of it
7. The transaction is validated and credited to the affiliate
8. The affiliate is paid to his/her commission
Some Affiliate marketing tools:
a) Affiliate by Conversant
b) Max Bounty
c) Amazon associates
e) Trade doubler
These are advertisements that are featured on a platform alongside content that isn’t paid for.
Email marketing uses personalized emails to convert prospective users into customers.
Process of email marketing;
1. Identify the target audience and create the segment.
2. Create campaigns and set an appropriate CTA.
3. Choose an appropriate email marketing tool e.g Hubspot, Marketo, Mailchimp, Sendinblue
4. Test your emails before sending
5. Use email marketing tools to send campaigns immediately or schedule them.
6. Craft an attractive subject line and copy. Set up a suitable design for your emails
7. Perform A/B tests to test out different ideas.
8. Analyze performance(open rate, CTR, response, and rate and optimize campaigns).