What is Quantum Computing?
Quantum computing and physics describe the behavior of atoms and particles (electrons and photons). Quantum computers operate by controlling the way these particles behave in a way totally different from our normal computers. Quantum computers are a completely different technology based on a very deep scientific understanding. It is a new device that is based on the science of Quantum physics.
Big tech companies like Meta, Apple, IBM are working towards building these tech devices. Quantum computers can exist as a superposition or combination of zero and one. Its identity is on a spectrum and they harness the power of uncertainty.
Types of quantum computers
- Quantum circuit model: Out of all the types of quantum computers listed, the most used is the quantum circuit model. It is based on a quantum bit or qubit. A qubit is a bit comparable to the bits in classical computers. They can either be in 1 or 0 or a combination of both 1 and 0.
- Quantum Turing machine: They are also called the universal quantum computer. We use a quantum Turing machine to model the effects of a quantum computer.
- Adiabatic quantum computer: This model relies on the adiabatic theorem to do calculations. It is related to quantum annealing(a meta-procedure for finding a procedure that finds an absolute minimum size/length/cost/distance from within a possibly very large, but nonetheless finite set of possible solutions using quantum fluctuation – Wikipedia)
- One-way quantum computer
- Quantum cellular automata.
Application of Quantum Computers
- Improves Security: Quantum computers can provide secret private keys for the encryption of messages sent from a party to another. This will prevent hackers from perfectly copying the key because of quantum uncertainty.
- Improves the Health care system: Quantum computers can improve the analytic design in drug development. This has posed an enormous issue for years now because of the molecules involved in the design. Quantum computers can help to solve this issue since they understand these fundamental principles.
- Transformation of the internet: The internet as we know it now has gone through a lot of stages and development. The internet has moved from just being static and one-sided to this dynamic entity. Quantum computers can transform the internet by improving its structure and also its security.
- Teleportation: We all have heard about the concept of teleportation or seen it in movies. Teleportation is the hypothetical transfer of matter or energy from one point to another without traversing the physical space between quantum Computing.
Why Quantum Computers?
It has been discovered over time that for some problems, supercomputers are not really super as we think. There are some computational problems they find difficult to solve. Quantum computers can create vast multidimensional spaces in which to represent these enormous problems. Supercomputers cannot do this.